Friday, July 8, 2011

Coach John's Mid-season Reflection


I am honored to share what God has done in my life while coaching my first basketball team (with the help of Dave, Demetrius, and CW). I first met my team on May 19th, as I walked into Sunshine for the second time. I didn’t know what I was getting myself into. I was nervous, scared, and overwhelmed all at once (lol). As soon as I met my team, God truly changed my heart to care and mentor these young men. As the season has progressed, God has matured me and taught me not to be selfish anymore. I knew these young men were hurting and needed some fresh air from the neighborhoods they live in. So I prayed to God and told him I will not give up on these young men and I will try my best to be a positive role model and friend to the team God has put me in charge of.

As the season has gone on, we have grown as a team and I have loved every bit of it! We still need a lot of work and patience, but that will form over time. As for the season record we are not doing so well. We have not won a game yet. However, I'm not frustrated. All I can think of is continuing to pour nothing but positive words into their lives and help them to play hard and never give up. This season so far has taught me to care for my team and make sure they receive God's Word. I also want to teach them how to treat people, work together, and become positive young men.

John Gross
Youth Outreach Summer Intern
John will be a junior this fall at Moody Bible Institute.

*Sunshine has a junior high and senior high team in the Miracle Basketball League.

No comments: