Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Mid Summer Reflection


A Mid-Summer Reflection

During the past few weeks with the Sunshine staff have been some of the most challenging and yet most wonderful weeks I've had in a long time. The summer staff have grown close and are able to have fun and talk deep with each other – it is truly family. Because of this bond that has formed and has continued to grow, the interactions with the children and teens have been memorable.

During the week of June 20th through the 24th, we took the kids and teens in separate groups up to Union Michigan to Sunshine Cove Camp. The first three days were full of games, wonderful chapel lessons, and developing relationships with the 2nd-5th grade boys and girls. The second half of the week was spent at camp with the Jr. High and Sr. High. I loved this time as well, because the girls in my cabin were very open with situations going on in their lives. We had some really wonderful talks about hardships we go through as teenagers, in their homes, and as Christians. One night the chapel was about Christians across the world that have been tortured and martyred for their faith. This was a hard and thought provoking chapel for the girls in my cabin. We had a very good chat that night about what they go through at home because they seek to follow God and desire to do right. This time blessed me and it was good to learn more about each girl in order to continue relationships with them, and also it helped me know how I can love and pray for them more effectively.

I have had a passion for Sunshine and the inner city for almost ten years, and I am honored and blessed at how God has allowed my relationship with people at SGM to grow and deepen over the years. This summer has confirmed even more what God has called me to do for His kingdom in my short time on His earth. Continue to pray for the children and teens – that God will grip their hearts and invade their lives!

Natalie Webster
Youth Outreach Summer Intern
Natalie will be a sophomore at Moody Bible Institute this fall.

No comments: