Monday, July 18, 2011

Transitions


Transitions have never been easy. Sometimes they can be inconvenient, painful and disappointing. The sad thing is all of these adjectives I used are often true. Lots of times we look at our lives and how we got where we are today and ask ourselves if it was worth all the drama and trials we’ve had to face. The truth is yes. Not only do transitions cause discomfort, but they create huge amounts of growth in the process. That growth promotes maturity, wisdom, patience, understanding, grace and security in Christ.

I have had the privilege of undergoing major transitions in my life for the past five years. The first one was in the September of 2006. I was 19 years old and needed to get away from the city of Chicago. I was young and afraid of change, but I wanted to grow deeper in my relationship with God. At that time, that meant I needed to get away from what was familiar. I had too many bad influences in my life and I was too weak spiritually to overcome them by myself. Therefore I went away to a discipleship school called Master's Commission USA. Through this process God began to radically transform my life.

During that season of time, several things happened. I lost all my grandparents in one month. I had major cultural encounters that shifted my viewpoint of others. My view of God became larger than I could ever imagine. I also had plenty of opportunities to showcase my talents in front of tens of thousands of people. Most importantly, I realized how privileged I was. God had a plan for my life. I do not deserve anything. I am a “nobody” that Christ died for. My story is not in any way special or self glorifying. The challenges I have faced in the past are not at all horrifying, but simply a testimony to the call that God has on my life.

The biggest transition I am about to undergo is being betrothed to my wife to be. I am so humbled that I get to marry such a strong woman as Sarah. She helps me in my weaknesses, and I help her with hers. She has been so patient with me and extended so much grace that I don’t deserve. It has been a bumpy road at times, but the biggest thing that I have learned from our relationship is AGAPE love - to love selflessly and unconditionally. To show agape love, it also means to not assume things, but rather to ask. It means to not judge prematurely, but rather to extend mercy. Transitions can be painful, but the reward is immense. God’s glory is shown, and men will know it (just like in Romans 8:28 all things work together for the good). In another example, when Joseph was sold into slavery by his brothers and spent years in prison for a crime he did not commit (Genesis 45:5), he expresses how God had a plan to use him to save millions of lives. He had to go through countless hardships that helped him grow and strengthen his character.

If you find yourself in a difficult situation know this, it will never last.

PSALM 30:4-5
Sing praises to the LORD, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name.
For his anger is but for a moment,and his favor is for a lifetime. Weeping may tarry for the night,but joy comes with the morning.

Mike Avery
Mike is Sunshine's Club 2-5-2 Director and the founder of the D3 Movement.

No comments: